South Carolina Lawyers
The rankings, published in the Fiscal Times, lists the Charleston Metro area as the number eight place to move to with the Myrtle Beach Metro area following close behind at number 9. The rankings take into effect different aspects including jobs and economic factors.
Charleston Metro Area
Fiscal Times ranks Charleston at number eight due to job growth in the area. Charleston is home to an air force base that is responsible for up to 22,000 local jobs.
The largest employers in Charleston are:
- Defense contractors
- Auto parts manufacturers
- Biomedical firms
- Wind energy equipment makers
The latest edition to Charleston is Boeing. The $750 million aircraft manufacturing plant is located in North Charleston and created 3,800 direct jobs. Boeing is also said to have indirectly created 11,000. Boeing helped make the Charleston Metro area home to the largest growth in manufacturing jobs of any U.S. metro in 2010 and 2011. According to a recent Brookings Institution report, the Charleston Metro area’s manufacturing job growth was 14.4 percent.
Myrtle Beach Metro Area
Many people are now going to Myrtle Beach for vacation and finding themselves staying indefinitely. The Myrtle Beach Metro area is home to the number nine most popular city to move to. The economy of Myrtle Beach is driven my tourism. Myrtle Beach attracts 14.6 million visitors each summer. Half of the employment in the metro area of Myrtle Beach is tourism related.
Myrtle Beach is also home to:
- Blue Cross/Blue Shield
- AVX Corporation (manufacturers of electronic components)
- Two hospitals
- Two airports
- 11 colleges and universities
Between 2000 and 2010, the population of Myrtle Beach grew by 19 percent. It recently has become home to retirement-aged seniors and baby boomers.
Other Notable Cities
Southeastern cities make up five out of the top 10 cities people are moving to. Charleston and Myrtle Beach make up two of these five; the other three cities include Hinesville, GA, Raleigh, NC and Warner Robins, GA.
- Hinesville, GA, home to Fort Stewart, ranked in at number three. Fort Stewart is the largest Army base east of the Mississippi River. In 2009, Fort Stewart received $400 million in federal money.
- Raleigh, NC ranked in at number five. Raleigh is the capital of North Carolina and is home to large corporations like IBM and GlaxoSmithKline, as well as three world-class universities and two premiere hospital systems.
- Warner Robins, GA ranked in at number six. Warner Robins is home to Robins Air Force Base, which employs 23,000 people, as well as, 3,000 contractors. Warner Robins experienced a 36 percent population growth between 2000 and 2010.
If you are thinking of moving soon, it seems the Southeast is the place to go.
Strom Law Firm, LLC is centrally located in Columbia, SC and represents individuals and businesses in complex civil and criminal cases in South Carolina, throughout Southeastern US and nationwide. Call us today for a free consultation. 803.252.4800.