Two City of Sumter employees may want to seek workers’ compensation after being pinned against a retaining wall causing the employees to suffer serious injuries.
According to WIS, the incident occurred around 8:30 a.m. Thursday, September 6. The men were working at the city’s wastewater treatment facility off Highway 521. The vacuum truck the men were working off began to roll pinning both men between the front of the truck and a retaining wall. The vehicle crushed the legs of both men.
The men were using the truck to vacuum out drain lines at the wastewater treatment plant. The wastewater treatment plant is set to undergo maintenance.
Following the accident, both men had to be airlifted to a Columbia hospital where they were listed in serious condition.
Injuries resulting from work equipment are a common occurrence. Like the injuries the City of Sumter employees sustained, work equipment injuries can be serious.
The most common types of injuries sustained from work equipment include:
- Severe head, neck and back injuries
- Broken limbs
- Injuries to other parts of the body.
Other workplace hazards include:
- Slip and falls; Workplace slip and falls result in more than one million injuries each year across the US. Slip and fall injuries can result from spills, foreign substances on the floor, and uneven surfaces among others.
- Everyday work activity; Everyday work activity injuries are especially prevalent in manual labor environments. Everyday work activities can include heavy lifting, pulling, carrying, pushing, or moving items or equipment. Injuries resulting from everyday work activity include back injuries, heart problems, muscle injuries, and even broke limbs.
- Shock or electrocution; Electrical related injuries occur more often than most people think. Electrical injuries are serious and can be fatal. Workers should exercise extreme caution when working around electricity.
The Strom Law Firm represents individuals in South Carolina who received on the job injuries and are unable to work. Workplace injuries can be serious and leave an individual out of work for months, and in some circumstances, years. During this time, the individual is left with mounting medical bills and no source of income. Medical bills combined with daily expenses can leave the individual feeling hopeless.
The Strom Law Firm can help alleviate the helplessness feeling that injured individuals may be experiencing. Our South Carolina workers’ compensation lawyers will help you file for workers’ compensation for your on the job injuries. In the event of a denial by your employer, we will represent you in front of the Workers’ Compensation Commission. Fill out a web form or call us today to see how we can help you get the money you deserve for your workplace injury. 803.252.4800.