Slip and Fall Lawyers in Columbia, SC
Accidental slip, trips, and falls are some of the most common accidents in South Carolina.These claims can be very difficult to navigate.
If you suffered an injury following a slip, trip, or fall in Columbia, you already know firsthand how serious these injuries truly are. You may spend weeks or even months trying to recover. You may even suffer permanent disability and impairment from your fall.
Yet, even though you suffered greatly, you may find that the insurance company is unwilling to engage. They may claim that you were to blame for the accident and for the injuries you suffered. They may also argue that they did not have a responsibility to prevent the injury. If you are involved in a Columbia area slip, trip or fall, contact the Columbia slip and fall lawyers at the Strom law Firm right away.
Table of Contents
Columbia Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers on Your Side
Why Choose Us?
Our Columbia injury lawyers will investigate the accident extensively to determine the facts and prove who is liable for the harm you suffered. Whether you’ve slipped on a wet floor somewhere on Main Street in Downtown Columbia, tripped over a raised sidewalk in West Columbia, or suffered from a slip and fall in the grocery store or other business, we can help. Contact a Columbia personal injury lawyer at Strom Law Firm immediately.
To better assist you after a serious slip and fall accident, we offer free initial consultations and reviews. We know that you have questions and our lawyers are here to help answer those questions in a private meeting. With an office located at Barrister Hall at 6923 N. Trenholm Rd in Columbia, we are here when you need us most. We can meet with you in our office, in your hospital room, or even in your home to better assist you. We also offer virtual appointments during this time if coming into the office is difficult.
Please contact our office at 803.252.4800 or toll-free at 888.490.2847 to learn more about your legal options after a slip and fall accident in Columbia or anywhere in South Carolina.
After you’ve suffered an injury in a slip and fall accident, you may wonder how much your case is truly worth. Each case is unique and each accident victim requires different levels of compensation.
To better assess your case, the slip and fall accident lawyers at Strom Law Firm will meet with you to learn more about your accident. We will then work with your medical team to determine how your injuries personally affect you and your overall quality of life.
While each case is unique, there are common types of damages you may be entitled to pursue. These damages include economic, non-economic, and, in some instances, punitive damages.
These verifiable losses resulting from an accident may include:
- Past, current, and future medical expenses. These can consist of emergency medical treatments, ambulance rides, surgeries, doctor visits, and prescription medications
- Past, current, and future lost wages resulting from not working following the slip and fall accident.
- Lost earning capacity
- Rehabilitative services including vocational and physical therapy
- At-home nursing care
- Replacement services such as house cleaning or child care services
- Medical devices such as crutches or wheelchairs
- Other out-of-pocket expenses
These losses resulting from the accident are not easy to quantify and include:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental Anguish
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of reputation
- Loss of a limb
- Loss of enjoyment of life and activities
In rare instances, South Carolina courts may award punitive damages. However, unlike compensatory damages, which compensate the victim for their losses, punitive damages are instead intended to punish the defendant for their willful, wanton, or reckless actions and deter them from committing these actions in the future.
South Carolina’s Premises Liability Laws
Filing a Slip and Fall Accident Lawsuit in Columbia
Under South Carolina law, different property owners have different responsibilities when it comes to protecting people on their properties. The extent of a duty that the owner might owe an injury victim depends on the reason that person was present on the property.
Property owners owe the highest duty of care to invitees.
- Invitees: Invitees enter the land of another individual at the express or implied invitation of the occupant of the land. For instance, a customer is generally considered an invitee.
Property owners owe a duty of reasonable care to an invitee, which carries the duty to warn of any “latent” or hidden defects or dangers.
- Licensees: Licensees are allowed entry to a property by the consent of an owner or occupant. For example, house guests are often considered a licensee.
The duty of care owed to a licensee is not quite as high as that owed to an invitee. Property owners have a duty to warn licensees of conditions that are actually known by the owner or occupant. There is not a requirement to actively inspect and discover dangerous conditions or to make any unknown conditions safe.
- Trespassers: Trespassers enter land belonging to another without any invitation, right, or lawful authority. They enter exclusively for their own purposes. An owner ordinarily does not owe a duty to a trespasser, although they cannot intentionally harm the person. Exceptions do exist for children who trespass on your property.
Proving Negligence in a Slip and Fall Case
If you were hurt in a slip and fall accident in Columbia, you need to prove that the defendant was negligent and their actions resulted in your injuries.
To prove this negligence, you need to show:
- The liable party owed you a duty of care.
- The liable party breached this duty through a negligent omission or act.
- This breach was a direct cause of your injuries and damages.
When you work with a knowledgeable Columbia slip and fall accident attorney from the Strom Law Firm, we can promptly investigate the accident and start gathering the necessary evidence needed to establish negligence.
Build Your Injury Case
Slip and fall accident lawsuits are complicated. That is why working with one of our experienced and skilled slip and fall accident attorneys is crucial for your claim.
Our injury lawyers can go over your case in detail, as well as answer any questions you may have, and provide you with the legal options you can take.
In addition, our attorneys can also:
- Investigate the accident thoroughly, gather critical reports and evidence, and interview relevant witnesses that can help show what happened.
- Bring in the experts such as accident reconstructionists, economists, engineers, and doctors that can help substantiate your claims.
- Handle the negotiations and discussions with the other side, ensuring your case is treated fairly.
- Take your case to trial and fight for maximum damages if the defense is unwilling to negotiate.
If you or a loved one was injured in a Columbia slip and fall accident, you should not take on these complex legal proceedings on your own. Instead, contact an experienced Columbia slip and fall accident attorney at the Strom Law Firm today to help develop the best plan for moving forward.
Businesses and homeowners in Columbia have certain duties to keep their property safe for visitors and guests. When they fail to live up to that duty, accidents happen.
Slip and fall accidents occur due to a variety of factors, including:
- Wet floors
- Inadequate lighting
- Uncovered wiring
- Debris on the ground
- Faulty stairs
- Broken or raised pavement
- Absence of handrails
- Hidden or unclearly marked steps
- Uneven floors
- Loose mats or floorboards
- Freshly mopped or waxed floors
- Cluttered areas
- Icy parking lots or sidewalks
Common Injuries Often Suffered in Slip and Fall Accidents
Our Attorneys Help Injured Accident Victims in Columbia
In Columbia, our attorneys have represented numerous slip and fall accident victims across the city and throughout the state. We have seen firsthand how devastating these injuries can be.
We know that working with your medical teams can help us to better appreciate how these injuries will affect your life and your future. That is why we take the time to get to know you and your situation personally. It is this personalized care that enables us to obtain the best outcomes for our clients.
The injury lawyers at Strom Law Firm have helped slip and fall accident victims who suffered from a variety of injuries, including:
- Broken hips and dislocations. Hip injuries can be completely debilitating for those suffering from one. The CDC estimates that ~95 percent of hip injuries are caused by falls. Most often, this injury is suffered by elderly individuals. The consequences of fractured, broken, or dislocated hips can be devastating, sometimes deadly. A daunting statistic, 20 percent of those injured by a hip fracture pass away within a year of their accident.
- Shoulder injuries. Shoulder damage is a common result of a slip and fall, given the way people naturally try to land on their side in a fall. Anybody that has suffered a shoulder injury knows that these injuries are painful, debilitating, and downright inconvenient. Many of those who suffer shoulder injuries never fully heal, resulting in chronic pain and disability. For significant shoulder injuries, surgery followed by a long course of physical therapy may be required. These procedures and follow-ups are time-consuming and expensive.
- Head injury. Often, during a slip and fall, a victim’s head will strike the floor with the full momentum of the fall. Traumatic brain injury is yet another injury from a slip and fall that can alter a person’s life forever. When somebody falls backward, their momentum often causes their heels to swing over their head, leading to their head hitting the ground hard, with the full force of gravity. Traumatic brain injury often leads an accident victim with only one choice: pursue compensation for their altered lifestyle, lost income, and medical expenses.
- Back injuries and spinal cord damage. Slip and fall accidents can sometimes result in herniated discs, fractured vertebrae, and spinal cord damage. Anybody who has suffered a back injury knows that it can affect every aspect of your life. The back and spine are central to the entire body, and an injury to them renders many activities impossible for an injured party. Aside from the effect a back injury has on your ability to perform certain actions, back injuries are incredibly painful, and sometimes permanent. If your injury requires back surgery, you will have a long and expensive road to recovery.
- Fractures, sprains, and strains. Often, fractures or sprains can result in chronic pain, infection, and other issues in a slip and victim.
- Dental injuries. Slips and falls can crack teeth. Victims may have trouble eating, sleeping, working, or concentrating due to the extraordinary pain of broken teeth, and just as much difficulty paying for the surgery needed to repair the damage.
If you have had to pay the physical and financial costs of any of the above injuries or other personal injuries, a Columbia slip and fall lawyer at Strom Law Firm can help you seek the compensation you are owed.
When you head to the grocery store, you do not expect to suffer a slip and fall that results in debilitating injuries, astronomical medical bills, and life-long care that affects you and your family. Unfortunately, these accidents do happen, and Columbia is full of places where a slip and fall accident might occur.
If you have suffered an injury because of a slip and fall, we know you have questions and concerns. Here are just some of the most frequently asked questions we hear about slip and fall accidents in Columbia.
What do I need to do after a slip and fall accident in Columbia?
Many times after a slip and fall accident, injured parties are unsure of what to do next. However, it is essential to realize that the actions you take following a slip and fall accident are not only crucial for your health and safety but will also protect your legal rights as well.
Following a slip and fall you should:
- Report the accident. If you slipped and fell on someone’s property, you need to report the accident to a property manager or the property owner. If you can, make sure to file an injury report.
- Get medical assistance. Many serious injuries are not readily apparent, and delaying medical treatment can worsen the condition and result in devastating effects. Additionally, getting looked over by a doctor can help your legal claim. These doctors can write their findings in their medical reports, which can provide evidence of your damages and the extent of your injury.
- Gather evidence. If you can, take pictures or videos of the accident scene. Make sure to document your visible injuries, the dangerous condition that caused your slip and fall accident, and any other factors that contributed to your accident.
- Get witness details. If anyone was present at the scene and saw your accident, make sure to get their name and number. Their statements can provide you with crucial evidence in terms of proving liability.
- Keep records. The best thing you can do for your legal claim is to save any document or report related to your accident. This includes medical reports, bills, receipts for treatments, and even work or school absence reports. In addition, keep your clothing from the accident. Do not wash it or try to mend any rips or tears. Their condition can help explain the injuries you sustained.
- Write in a journal. Following an accident, write down everything about the accident and your recovery in a journal. Jot down thoughts about the treatments you are receiving, how you feel, your setbacks, what you had to miss out on because of the injury, and other aspects of your life that have changed because of this slip and fall injury.
- Contact our experienced Columbia slip and fall accident attorneys. Our lawyers can quickly get to work investigating your accident, gathering critical evidence, and fighting for the damages you deserve.
How much time do I have to pursue a Columbia slip and fall claim against the liable party?
If you are injured in a slip and fall accident in Columbia, you need to bring your lawsuit promptly. The statute of limitations is a law that sets the maximum amount of time you have to bring a claim for an alleged offense.
If you do not bring your claim within this period, you may not pursue legal action for your injuries. In South Carolina, the time limit to bring a slip and fall claim is generally three years from the date of the accident. However, depending on the circumstances of the case, including where the accident occurred, and who owns the property, this time may be shortened or extended.
For these reasons, you must speak with our Columbia slip and fall accident attorneys as quickly as possible. Our lawyers can help you determine how much time you have to file and start the legal process, so everything is filled within the allotted time.
What if I slipped and fell at work, can I file a lawsuit against my employer in Columbia?
If you are hurt on the job, in many cases, you may file a workers’ compensation claim to help pay your medical bills and replace any lost wages. However, because you can file a workers’ compensation claim, you cannot file a lawsuit against the employer unless the actions of another third party somehow caused the accident.
In that instance, you may bring a suit against that other company. Due to these complexities, if you have been injured in a slip and fall accident while working, speak with a skilled slip and fall accident lawyer who can help you figure out what legal actions you can pursue against those liable.
Injuries from slip and falls should be taken seriously, and those that cause them should meet their obligations to keep their property safe.
Strom Law Firm is experienced in representing victims of Columbia slip and falls and other accidents. Our Columbia Slip and Fall Lawyers are ready to meet with you in person at your convenience. You can also contact us online or by phone at 803-252-4800 to schedule a time to talk with a member of our team.
Here’s what Alma P. said about us on Google:
“Great law firm…awesome costumer service! Absolute pleasure to work with! I Would recommend this law firm to anyone.”
Rating: 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Check out all of our Google reviews!