Why You Shouldn’t Wait to Hire a Criminal Law Attorney
With an arrest, your freedom, personal and family stability, economic survival, and reputation are at stake — and it’s important to act quickly. If you have just been released from jail or have just been contacted by the authorities alerting you that you are under criminal investigation, the time to act is now. The sooner you contact an experienced criminal law attorney, the sooner we can begin working on your case.
Every case is different, but every case requires time to build a robust and vigorous defense. Contacting a lawyer as early as possible — especially before your next court date — allows them to begin to familiarize themselves with the particulars of your case and determine the best way to prepare your defense.
Getting Arrested And Charged With a Crime Does Not Mean You Are Guilty
If you are charged with a crime, you are presumed innocent until proven guilty, which is a right guaranteed by our constitution. It is the state’s burden to prove your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law. Turn to an experienced criminal lawyer who will fight for you and protect your rights. You can discuss your arrest, possible defense, and what consequences you might be facing with our legal team during a free consultation at our Columbia, SC office.
What To Look for in a South Carolina Criminal Defense Lawyer
Many thoughts go through your head after an arrest, and one of the most critical questions you’ll ask yourself is this: “Which criminal defense lawyer is right for me?”
When you are facing serious consequences such as jail time, fines, or probation…when your personal life, livelihood, and reputation is being affected by a criminal arrest, it is important that you hire a criminal defense attorney who will understand your situation and has the experience and know-how to prepare and present a tireless and thorough defense on your behalf.
There are so many lawyers for criminal cases out there, it can be hard to find the one that best suits your needs. You’re already dealing with a difficult situation, and now you are faced with the possibly overwhelming search for the right attorney.
Here are several factors to consider and tips to help you find the lawyer best suited to represent you:
- The attorney-client relationship is built upon trust. You should select a criminal lawyer that you feel comfortable with. That’s why Strom Law Firm, LLC offers free consultations. At no cost to you, you’ll be able to meet with our attorneys and see for yourself the level of professionalism and understanding we offer each of our clients.
- Understand the attorney’s fee. Make sure you understand what your attorney’s fee covers. Fees can be hourly, flat-rate or contingent, and there are certain services that are covered and some that are not. Be sure you discuss and understand the fee structure beforehand.
- Find a lawyer who has handled your type of charges. Ask your criminal defense lawyer what types of cases he or she typically handles, and make sure they have defended the charge you have been arrested for.
- No one can guarantee successful results. Be leery of anyone who promises or guarantees you specific results. While your attorney can give you a good idea of what to expect, what your options are, and possible outcomes, it is unethical — and not to mention impossible — to guarantee you an outcome. If something sounds too good to be true, it is.
Once you’ve decided on a lawyer to handle your criminal defense, there are two key things that will help you have a more successful defense:
- Prepare to give your attorney full details. Your attorney needs to know everything that happened. An attorney cannot prepare an adequate defense without knowing all of the facts related to the case. Early disclosure may prevent a roadblock later in your case which could have been avoided.
- Understand your case. Make sure your attorney discusses the charge or charges against you. Have them explain what the prosecutor must prove or establish to find you guilty, and the potential criminal penalties for the particular crime involved.
The criminal defense lawyers at the Strom Law Firm, LLC provide an aggressive, well-planned defense. With a free consultation, we can discuss the facts of your situation and you’ll hear how we can help.
Strom Law Firm, LLC Has The Experience You Can Trust
We believe the single most important element to consider when hiring your criminal defense lawyer is trust. It is imperative that you trust your attorney — trust that they have your best interests at heart and that they have the competence and know-how to give you the most aggressive defense possible. We have been building trust with our clients since 1996 and collectively our team has over 100 years of experience. We’ve handled an extensive range of criminal cases and have direct experience defending clients in courts all across South Carolina. Our familiarity with prosecutorial techniques and knowledge of criminal law ensures that you will receive an aggressive, well-planned criminal defense — and a lawyer you can trust.
Our Consultations Are Always Free, Call 803-252-4800
Our team of lawyers, paralegals, investigators, and clerks have been carefully assembled to create the best possible mix of experience, passion, and knowledge. We will tirelessly work on your behalf and we understand what you are going through. We are happy to sit down with you face-to-face at our office in Columbia, SC to explain the process, the charges you face, and the possible outcomes of your case. Our initial consultations are always free. At no charge to you, we can meet with you about your case and you can learn for yourself how the Strom Law Firm, LLC can help in your quest for justice under the law.