Tailgate Safety Tips for Football Season
As we count down the days to the upcoming Carolina – Georgia game this Saturday, tailgating is surely on your mind.
With temperatures still creeping into the 90s, we offer you ten tips for tailgate safety:
- Make sure that any perishable items are kept on ice; make sure that foods that are served cold are cold before putting them in the cooler.
- Package raw meat separately and handle it carefully.
- Practice safe grilling: check your hoses, make sure that there is sufficient space around your grill (keeping children and pets at a safe distance). If you are using gas, remember to turn it off;
- Do not leave food unrefrigerated for more than two hours.
- Bring along a bottle of hand sanitizer
- Protect yourself from mother nature: don’t forget the sunscreen and drink plenty of water.
- Before heading into the game, throw away any perishable foods so that you are not tempted to eat them when you get back from the game.
- Be careful when walking to the game, and remember that other drivers may have been drinking.
- Keep your valuables locked up and out of sight.
- Designate a driver or take a cab.
Remember these tailgate safety tips, and be aware of what you eat and drink!
What Do I do if I Contract Food Poisoning?
We are often asked what to do if you think that you have food poisoning. If you think that you have food poisoning, or an allergic reaction to food, you should call your doctor. If you feel that it’s an emergency, call 911. In South Carolina, you should also report the illness to the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC).
If you can identify which food you believe caused the food poisoning, you should:
- wrap the food, write “do not eat” on the label, and refrigerate it,
- save the food packaging and/or wrapper,
- record where the food came from, and when you ate it,
- document when you first noticed food poisoning symptoms
When it doubt, throw it out.
If you suffered from food poisoning and were left with a pile of medical bills, The Strom Law Firm, LLC may be able to help. We offer free consultations to discuss the facts of your case. Contact us today. 803.252.4800.