Scooter Accidents in Lexington, South Carolina
If you or a family member was injured in a Lexington Scooter Accident, you might be seeking the services of a personal injury attorney that has experience litigating and settling Lexington Scooter Accident Lawyer. You’ve come to the right place! The Lexington Scooter Accident Lawyers at the Strom Law Firm LLC are successful in resolving Lexington Scooter Accident across South Carolina—for maximum value.
Modern-day scooters are often powered by either electricity or gas and can be an efficient mode of transportation. In Lexington, students and commuters alike use scooters every day, traveling to and from work or class. There are even smartphone-based rental services, from which you can rent an electric scooter instantaneously.
Alongside scooters are similar products, such as hoverboards, Segways, and other recreational transportation devices. We see many of these forms of transportation in the streets of downtown Lexington or the neighborhoods surrounding Lake Murray.
While scooters are fun, as well as economical and eco-friendly options for traveling around town, they come with clear risks. Many of those risks are similar to those that a motorcyclist might face on the roads. Riding a scooter does not provide the same protection as riding in cars and trucks, and means that those who are involved in accidents may suffer severe injury.
If you have been injured in a scooter accident, no matter the severity, contact a Lexington scooter accident lawyer today to have your case examined.
Scooter Accident and Injury Statistics
According to a Center for Disease Control and Prevention study of the scooter riding population of Austin, TX, it is estimated that 14.3 accidents occur every 100,000 trips on a scooter. Accidents can be caused by street defects, such as potholes and cracks, as well as negligent or reckless driving by the scooter rider or other drivers. According to the same CDC study, 52% of accidents occurred while operating on the streets, and 29% of scooter accidents involved first-time riders.
Injuries sustained in scooter accidents include:
- Road Rash
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Head fractures
- Broken bones and shattered bones
- Damage to muscles, tendons, or ligaments
- Neck and back injuries
- Organ damage
- Spinal cord injury
Due to the lack of protection provided by scooters (as with bicycles), accidents can often be catastrophic and can result in extensive medical expenses and lost wages.
Responsible Parties Must Pay for The Injuries They Cause
As personal injury lawyers, the attorneys at Strom Law Firm believe that when another person or company is responsible for your injuries, they should be required to compensate you for all of the damage that those injuries cause.
Along with scooter popularity, scooter accidents have grown more prevalent in and around Lexington over the past decade.
If you or a loved one has suffered an injury as a result of a scooter accident or a micro-mobility device accident, contact us today to take a look at your case.
E-Scooter Use and Rental Is Trending Upwards
What are E-Scooters? The term Scooters does not mean what it used to. They are no longer toys that require the user to propel themselves with a kick and a push. Scooters today are full-fledged modes of transportation, some powered by gas motors and others by electric battery power.
As an example of the growth in popularity of e-scooters, in recent years, in college towns and big cities, we have seen the rise of app-enabled scooter rentals. To rent a scooter, one simply needs to locate an unmanned kiosk, similar to a bike rack. The renter then logs-in to an app, entering a virtual contract and renting a scooter, which is unlocked remotely. And, off you go! Seems great, right? Not when you get in an accident.
Who Can Be At Fault for Scooter Accidents and Resulting Injuries?
When involved in a scooter accident, it is important to determine who is at fault. This will depend on the facts of the incident. Some parties that may be responsible for the accident include
- Cars and trucks on the road: As with any car accident, the vehicle that causes the accident that leads to injury is generally responsible for compensating injured parties. Car drivers and truck drivers have a duty to keep a lookout for other vehicles on the roads, including scooters.
- Scooter or Rental Company: Sometimes, scooter companies do not properly maintain their scooters. In addition, Scooter companies may be responsible for ensuring that drivers have a proper understanding of how to operate a scooter. If the lack of maintenance, lack of training, or education, causes injury, the company should be held liable. There are other scenarios in which a scooter company may be held liable, as well.
- Manufacturers: If a scooter is defective, the manufacturer may be held liable for any damages caused by the defect.
To what type of compensation might a catastrophic injury victim be entitled?
A scooter accident injury plaintiff may receive compensation of two types: economic and non-economic damages.
- Economic damages are intended to help with financial loss caused by the scooter accident; examples include medical expenses and lost income.
- Non-economic damages are intended to compensate a victim for other losses and difficulties like pain and suffering or emotional distress.
Different types of scooter accident compensation might include:
- Compensation for bills paid for medical treatment. This may include ER visits, follow-ups, or physical and occupational therapy. This often includes costs of future medical treatment.
- Pain and suffering.
- Emotional distress.
- Lost income and wages. You may receive compensation for income that has already been lost, as well as income that you are expected to miss out on in the future.
- Wrongful death.
- Loss of consortium.
A jury may also award a plaintiff punitive damages, which punish the behavior of a defendant that caused an injury through reckless or intentional behavior, and act to deter future wrongdoers.
When Should I Contact A Lexington Scooter Accident Lawyer After A Scooter Accident?
You should contact a personal injury attorney as soon as possible following your scooter accident. Along with contacting a personal injury attorney, you should follow these steps to protect your rights:
- Seek Medical Care Immediately: The symptoms of certain injuries may slowly appear, but the sooner you see a physician, the more quickly he or she can diagnose these hidden injuries. Seeing a doctor also helps ensure that proper records are kept of your injuries for future insurance claims or litigation.
- Preserve Any Evidence: Your scooter is probably a vital piece of evidence in a potential legal claim. You should always preserve your scooter, if possible, and any other evidence to allow your attorney to evaluate its condition. It could prove crucial in proving liability and securing your compensation for your damages.
How Long Will It Take To Be Compensated For A Scooter Accident Injury Claim?
Unfortunately, sometimes settlement or recovery following a trial can take longer than an injury victim might hope. The length of time between filing your insurance claim and receiving compensation depends upon a variety of factors and differs from case to case:
- First and foremost, the facts of your case. Depending upon the liability questions, it can be difficult to establish fault.
- The extent of your injuries and needed medical treatment. It may take time for the extent of your injuries and the required medical treatment to be fully known. It is imperative to include both current and future medical expenses in any settlement or judgment.
- The willingness of the insurance company to negotiate a settlement and make reasonable offers of compensation.
- Whether a trial will be needed. If the insurance company never offers a reasonable and fair settlement amount, we may need to take your case to trial. As you might imagine, this can add a significant amount of time to your waiting, but this is sometimes the only appropriate route to take.
Lexington Scooter Accident Lawyer for Injured Scooter Riders
Strom Law Firm is experienced in representing victims of Lexington scooter accidents and other traffic accidents. Our Lexington Scooter Accident Lawyers are ready to meet with you in person at your convenience. You can also contact us online or by phone at 803-252-4800 to schedule a time to talk with a member of our team.