Slip and Fall Lawyers Lexington
Our Lexington Slip And Fall Lawyers at the Strom Law Firm are familiar with litigating South Carolina personal injury cases and can often help victims recover substantially more compensation than they would be able to retain on their own, so it is highly advisable for anyone injured in an accident to discuss their options with one of our Lexington Slip And Fall Lawyers.
Accidental falls are some of the most common injuries. Businesses and homeowners have certain duties to keep their property safe for visitors, and when they fail to live up to that duty, accidents happen. It is important to speak with an attorney following a slip and fall, because, at the time of the accident, you may not even realize the fall was the fault of somebody else. We can investigate the matter further to determine the facts. Whether you’ve slipped on a wet floor at a grocery store, tripped over a raised sidewalk, or suffered from a slip and fall in any number of other ways, contact the slip and fall attorneys at Strom Law Firm immediately.
Typical Causes of Lexington Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents occur due to a variety of factors, some of which suggest the negligence of another. Below is a list of common scenarios leading to injuries from a slip and fall:
- Broken or raised pavement
- Absence of handrails
- Hidden or unclearly marked steps
- Uneven or wet floors
- Worn down and torn carpet
- Failure to properly light a space
- Uncovered wiring
- Debris on the ground
- Faulty stairs
Is my injury serious enough for a slip and fall case?
Seeking compensation for any injury, whether through an insurance claim or a lawsuit, can be difficult. Slip, and falls can be even more difficult than most claims. Slip and falls often end up in litigation, which can be stressful and frustrating. But, if you suffered a significant injury to your head or any other part of your body, it is probably worth doing whatever you can to recover compensation for your expenses and troubles.
Slip, and falls can be tough cases to prove, but you should not let that keep you from pursuing compensation when necessary. Negligent property owners should not get away with their reckless conditions simply because a lawsuit may be difficult. At Strom Law Firm, we always offer a free initial consultation where we can discuss the above factors and decide on the best path forward.
Premises Liability Analysis In Slip and Fall Cases
Under South Carolina law, the extent of a landowner’s responsibility is dependent upon the status of a person upon property:
- Invitees: Invitees enter the land of another individual at the express or implied invitation of the occupant of the land, and for the benefit of the owner, or for some publicly held purpose. An occupant or landowner owes a duty of reasonable care to an invitee, which carries the duty to warn of any “latent” or hidden defects or dangers. The owner must have actual or constructive notice of the defect to give rise to this duty. Constructive notice means that the occupant or owner has reason to believe that the condition exists, and the condition would be discovered with a reasonable inspection.
- Trespassers: Trespassers enter land belonging to another without any invitation, right, or lawful authority. They enter exclusively for their own purposes. Trespassers are merely owed by the owner or occupant a duty not to be harmed by willful or wanton conduct or conditions.
- Licensees: Licensees are allowed entry to a property by the consent of an owner or occupant. The duty of care owed to a licensee is not quite as strict as that owed to an invitee. Owners and occupants have a duty to warn licensees of conditions that are actually known by the owner or occupant.
Injuries Often Suffered in Slip and Fall Accidents
- Head Injury– Often, during a slip and fall, a victim’s head will strike the floor with the full momentum of the fall. Traumatic brain injury is yet another injury from a slip and fall that can alter a person’s life forever. When somebody falls backward, their momentum often causes their heels to swing over their head, leading to their head hitting the ground hard, with the full force of gravity.
- Broken Hips and Dislocations– Broken hips and hip dislocations are other common injuries resulting from slip and falls. Hip injuries can be utterly debilitating for those suffering from one. The CDC estimates that ~95% of hip injuries are caused by falls.
- Back Injuries and Spinal Cord Damage– Slip and fall accidents can sometimes result in herniated discs, broken backs, and spinal cord damage. Anybody who has suffered a back injury knows that it can affect every aspect of your life. The back and spine are central to the entire body, and an injury to them renders many activities impossible for an injured party. Aside from the effect a back injury has on your ability to perform certain actions. Back injuries are incredibly painful and sometimes permanent. If your injury requires back surgery, you will have a long and expensive road to recovery.
- Shoulder Injuries– Shoulder damage is a common result of a slip and fall, given the way people naturally try to land on their side in a fall. Anybody that has suffered a shoulder injury knows that they can be painful, debilitating, and downright inconvenient—many of those who suffer shoulder injuries never fully heal, resulting in chronic pain and disability. For significant shoulder injuries, surgery followed by a long course of physical therapy may be required. These procedures and follow-ups are time-consuming and expensive.
- Fractures, Sprains, and Strains– While fractures and sprains are not thought of as the most severe injuries, they can be painful and lead to short-term and long-term complications. Often, fractures or sprains can result in chronic pain, infection, and other issues.
If you have had to pay the physical and financial costs of any of the above injuries or other slip and fall injuries, an experienced Lexington Slip And Fall Lawyer can help you seek the compensation you are owed.
Contact a Lexington Slip And Fall Lawyer Today
If you have suffered the devastation of a slip and fall injury, it is important to be compensated by the responsible party. Injuries from slip and falls should be taken seriously, and those that cause them should meet their obligations to keep their property safe. Strom Law Firm is experienced in representing victims of Lexington slip and falls and other accidents. A Lexington slip and fall lawyer is ready to meet with you in person at your convenience. You can also contact us online or by phone at 803-252-4800 to schedule a time to talk with a member of our team.