Riverbanks Zoo is in Columbia, South Carolina, United States. It is home to more than 3,000 animals representing over 350 species from around the world. The zoo is situated on 170 acres of land along the Saluda River, and it includes several exhibits, attractions, and amenities for visitors to enjoy.
Some of the notable exhibits at Riverbanks Zoo include:
- African Plains: This exhibit features a variety of African animals, including lions, zebras, giraffes, and ostriches.
- Aquarium Reptile Complex: This exhibit showcases a variety of aquatic and reptile species, including sharks, sea turtles, snakes, and alligators.
- Birdhouse at Riverbanks: This exhibit houses more than 200 birds representing over 80 species from around the world.
- Grizzly Ridge: This exhibit is home to a pair of grizzly bears, as well as other North American animals like bald eagles and river otters.
In addition to the animal exhibits, Riverbanks Zoo also features several attractions and amenities for visitors, including a botanical garden, a zip line course, a rope course, a carousel, and a train ride. The zoo is open daily (except Thanksgiving and Christmas days) and offers a variety of educational programs, events, and activities for visitors of all age groups.
Riverbanks Zoo is located just 20 minutes from the Strom Law Firm at 500 Wildlife Parkway, Columbia, SC 29210. If you need further assistance with directions, you can call the zoo at 803-779-8717 or visit their website for more detailed directions.
Hours of Operation (subject to change)
Riverbanks Zoo and Garden is open daily, except Thanksgiving and Christmas days.
Regular hours: 9:00am – 5:00pm.
General Admission Rates (per visit)
Adults (ages 13–61) — $24.99+tax
Children (ages 2–12) — $21.99+tax
Children (younger than 2) — FREE
Military (please present military ID at gate) — $22.99+tax
Senior Citizens (ages 62 and up; please present photo ID at gate) — $22.99+tax
Parking — $5 per vehicle (fee collected at ticket window)
Group Admission Rates (per visit)
Group Adults — $18.54+tax per person
Group Children (ages 2–12) — $15.54+tax per person
Group Children (younger than 2) — FREE
Parking — $5 per vehicle
School Field Trips
If you are planning a K–12 school field trip, please complete this reservation form at least 2 weeks in advance for the best available rate. Walk-up groups will be required to pay $22.99+tax (adults) and $19.99+tax (children), plus a parking fee for each vehicle.
Riverbanks Zoo and Garden strives to maintain a family-oriented environment where all members and guests can enjoy their visit. You can make the most of your visit, and ensure the same experience for others, by keeping these rules in mind as you explore the Zoo and Garden.
- Shirts and shoes are required in all areas of the Zoo and Garden, except during water play in designated areas. Swim attire should be family-friendly. Swimwear is only allowed inside Waterfall Junction. Attire displaying offensive subject matter is not allowed at Riverbanks.
- Please show common courtesy to others by not using profanity or engaging in disruptive, loud behavior.
- Always remain on public pathways.
- Animals should not be taunted in any way. For the health and safety of the animals, please do not throw food or objects into any animal enclosure.
- Pets and emotional support animals are not allowed in the park. Properly trained service animals are permitted, but due to the nature of the Zoo, they may not be allowed in some areas. To view the full ADA policy, please visit the ADA website.
- Children under 16 must always be accompanied by a responsible adult.
- Riverbanks is a smoke-free facility. Smoking and vaping is only allowed outside of the entry gates.
- Professional photography, tripods, and the use of drones is not allowed on Riverbanks property without prior authorization. For more information, please view our Film/Video/Still Photography Policy.
- The following items are not allowed inside the park: alcohol brought from outside the Zoo, balloons, balls, fireworks, laser pointers, outside food and drinks, hard-sided coolers, lawn chairs, bicycles, scooters, skateboards, shoes with wheels, any electric or motorized transport device with less than 3 wheels. For more information, please view our Mobility Device Policy.
- Some areas, rides, and attractions may operate at a limited capacity and have additional rules for the safety of our guests, staff, and animals.
Please help us respond to emergencies or disruptions by calling 803.779.8717.
If you have been injured in a car crash in Columbia or in Richland County, contact us today. We offer free case evaluations and we do not collect any fees unless we recover for you or a loved one on your case. Contact our team of experienced Columbia accident lawyers by calling 803-252-4800 and find out if we are able to help you.