Sexual Abuse Attorneys Sumter SC
Have you or someone you love been victimized by sexual abuse? It is important for you to realize that there are choices available to the victims of such heinous and unimaginable crimes. Please contact a Sumter Sexual Abuse Attorney now for a complimentary, confidential case consultation. You are a crime victim.
Perpetrators of sexual abuse and assault cause devastating suffering to their victims. These effects will often stay with the victim throughout their entire life. Sexual abuse is broadly considered an offensive, undesired, or non-consensual act that carries sexual connotations, whether expressly or implicitly.
Abuse is an extensive term that may be used to describe offensive and unwanted behavior such as conversations that may be portrayed as “locker room talk,” while the term abuse may also be used to describe the most atrocious and inconceivable sexual assaults. All sexual abuse carries with it physical and emotional consequences for the perpetrator’s victims.
Common Forms of Sexual Abuse
Sadly, there are many different acts of sexual abuse committed by people every day. Examples are listed below:
- Child Molestation and Sexual Abuse
- Children should be protected by adults. While inconceivable, disturbingly, there are adults in society who sexually and violently prey on the most vulnerable of us.
- Sexual Harassment
- Harassment can be verbal, written, via the internet, or through other forms of communication.
- Rape and Attempted Rape
- Domestic Violence and Marital Rape
- If you are married, non-consensual sex is still rape.
- Date Rape
- While generally thought of as a crime that only happens on college campuses, date rape can be committed anywhere.
- Groping is far too common in society. Such behavior can cause significant anguish to victims and should not be taken lightly
- Elder Sexual Abuse
- Unfortunately, those with access to vulnerable elderly adults sometimes prey upon them, even in a sexual manner.
How Can You Make A Sexual Abuser Pay For What They Have Done?
Retaining a skilled and compassionate Sumter Lawyer can help you navigate the frightening situation that has been thrust upon you. Far too often, cases of sexual abuse go unreported, leaving the abusers free to harm somebody else. While facing the realities of reporting such an attack can be daunting, scary, and downright difficult, assailants need to be held accountable whenever possible. Along with supporting you through these difficult times, our Sumter Sexual Abuse Lawyers will pursue compensation from your attacker for the following:
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent or temporary physical and mental disability
- Lost wages and income
- Punitive damages, awarded to victims as a punishment of the perpetrator
- Medical bills, including those incurred for mental health services
Navigating the circumstances following a sexual attack can be intimidating, but having legal counsel by your side can make it easier. Furthermore, filing a lawsuit initiates a complex and sometimes drawn-out process, for which an attorney’s counsel and guidance will help.
At Strom Law Firm, we have experience guiding clients through a wide variety of complex legal situations, including sexual abuse and assault cases. Our attorneys are understanding, compassionate, and empathetic to your struggle.
Sexual Abuse Stats
Around 70 percent of reported abuse cases involve children under 17 years of age.
Sexual abuse victims come from every demographic, regardless of sex, age, race, or economic standing. Unfortunately, it is widely believed that the majority of sexual abuse cases are never reported, but it is commonly estimated that 8 to 20 percent of America’s population has been abused or molested, in some way, at some point in their lives.
Unfortunately, sexual predators use everyday activities as opportunities to commit sexual abuse and violence. The places and activities that are often targeted usually host to unsupervised children. Far too often, sexually predatory behavior occurs in locations where we, as parents, believe our children are safe. Some common places of attack include:
- Your own home or a family/friend’s
- After-school Programs
- Sports Teams
- Dance Classes
- Foster Homes and Children’s Homes
- Hospitals and Doctors’ Offices
- Care Facilities
Contact A Sumter Sexual Abuse Lawyer Today
If you or your loved one has been victimized by sexual abuse or sexual assault, the skilled and compassionate crime victims attorneys at Strom Law Firm are here to help. We are experienced in representing victims of sexual abuse and other sex crimes, and we are available to help guide you through this difficult time.