Slip and Fall Attorneys Sumter SC
If you or a family member was injured in a Sumter Slip And Fall accident, you may be seeking the services of a personal injury attorney that has experience litigating and settling Sumter Slip And Fall Lawyer cases. You’ve come to the right place! The Sumter Slip And Fall Lawyers at the Strom Law Firm LLC are successful in resolving auto accident cases across South Carolina—for maximum value.
Accidental falls are some of the most common reasons people sustain serious and life-altering injuries. Businesses and homeowners have certain duties to keep their property safe for visitors, and when they fail to live up to that duty, accidents happen.
Whether you’ve slipped on a wet floor at a grocery store, tripped over a raised sidewalk, or encountered a dangerous condition on land or in a parking lot, or suffered from a slip and fall in any number of other ways, contact the Sumter Slip And Fall Lawyers at Strom Law Firm immediately. We can investigate the facts of your case to determine if someone else might be responsible for your injuries.
Typical Causes of Sumter Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents occur for a variety of reasons. Some of these factors may suggest negligence of another, including:
- Failure to properly light a space
- Uncovered wiring
- Debris on the ground
- Hidden or unclearly marked steps
- Uneven or wet floors
- Faulty stairs
- Broken or raised pavement
- Absence of handrails
- Worn down and torn carpet
Is my injury serious enough for a slip and fall case?
Seeking compensation for any injury, whether through an insurance claim or a lawsuit, can be difficult. Slip and falls, believe it or not, can be even more difficult than most claims. If you suffered a significant injury to your head or any other part of your body, it is worth doing whatever you can to recover compensation for your expenses and troubles.
Slip, and falls can be tough cases to prove, but you should not let that keep you from pursuing compensation when necessary. At Strom Law Firm, we offer a free initial consultation where we can discuss your case and decide on the best path forward.
Premises Liability Analysis In Slip and Fall Cases
Under South Carolina law, the extent of a landowner’s duty is established by the status of the person on the land:
- Invitees: Invitees enter the property of another individual at the express or implied invitation of the occupant of the land and for the benefit of the owner. An occupant or landowner owes a duty of reasonable care to an invitee, which carries the duty to warn of any “latent” or hidden defects or dangers. The owner must have actual or constructive notice of the defect to give rise to this duty. Constructive notice means that the occupant or owner has reason to believe that the condition exists, and the condition would be discovered with a reasonable inspection.
- Licensees: Licensees are allowed entry to a property by the consent of an owner or occupant. The duty of care owed to a licensee is not quite as strict as that owed to an invitee. Owners and occupants have a duty to warn licensees of conditions that are known by the owner or occupant.
- Trespassers: Trespassers enter land belonging to another without any invitation, right, or lawful authority. They enter exclusively for their own purposes. Trespassers are merely owed by the owner or the occupant a duty to not be harmed by willful or wanton conduct or conditions.
Whether someone qualifies as a licensee, invitee or trespasser, or whether a condition amounts to an attractive nuisance are all dependent on the specific facts and circumstances.
Injuries Often Suffered in Slip and Fall Accidents
- Shoulder Injuries– Shoulder damage is a common result of a slip and fall, given the way people naturally try to land on their side in a fall. Anybody that has suffered a shoulder injury knows that they can be painful, debilitating, and downright inconvenient. Many of those who suffer shoulder injuries never fully heal, resulting in chronic pain and disability. For significant shoulder injuries, surgery followed by a long course of physical therapy may be required. These procedures and follow-ups are time-consuming and expensive.
- Broken Hips and Dislocations– Broken hips and hip dislocations are other common injuries resulting from slip and falls. Hip injuries can be completely debilitating for those suffering from one. The CDC estimates that ~95% of hip injuries are caused by falls.
- Head Injury– Often, during a slip and fall, a victim’s head will strike the floor with the full momentum of the fall. Traumatic brain injury is yet another injury from a slip and fall that can alter a person’s life forever. When somebody falls backward, their momentum often causes their heels to swing over their head, leading to their head hitting the ground hard, with the full force of gravity.
- Back Injuries and Spinal Cord Damage– Slip and fall accidents can sometimes result in herniated discs, broken backs, and spinal cord damage. Anybody who has suffered a back injury knows that it can affect every aspect of your life. The back and spine are central to the entire body, and an injury to them renders many activities impossible for an injured party. Aside from the effect, a back injury has on your ability to perform specific actions, and back injuries are incredibly painful and sometimes permanent. If your injury requires back surgery, you will have a long and expensive road to recovery.
- Fractures, Sprains, and Strains– While fractures and sprains are not thought of as the most severe injuries, they can be painful and lead to short-term and long-term complications. Often, fractures or sprains can result in chronic pain, infection, and other issues in a slip and victim.
If you have had to pay the physical and financial costs of any of the above injuries or other slip and fall injuries, an attorney can help you seek the compensation you are owed.
Contact a Sumter Slip and Fall Attorney Today
If you have suffered the unexpected devastation of slip and fall injuries, it is important to be compensated by the responsible party. Injuries from slip and falls should be taken seriously, and those that cause them should meet their obligations to keep their property safe. Strom Law Firm is experienced in representing victims of Sumter slip and falls and other accidents. A Sumter lawyer is ready to meet with you in person at your convenience. You can also contact us online or by phone at 803-252-4800 to schedule a time to talk with a member of our team. Our Sumter Slip and Fall Lawyers offices are located in Barrister Hall 6923 N. Trenholm Rd, Columbia SC 29206-1707.