Sexual Abuse Attorneys in Newberry, SC
Have you been victimized by sexual abuse? If so, contact a Newberry sexual abuse lawyer now for a complimentary case consultation. It is important for you or your loved one to realize that there are choices available to the victims of such heinous and unimaginable crimes.
Sexual abuse is broadly considered an offensive, undesired, or nonconsensual act that carries sexual connotations, whether expressly or implicitly. Abuse is a very broad term that may be used to describe offensive and unwanted behavior such as conversations that may be portrayed as “locker room talk,” while the term abuse may also be used to describe the most atrocious and inconceivable sexual assaults. All sexual abuse carries with it physical and emotional consequences for the perpetrator’s victims. Perpetrators of sexual abuse and assault are causing devastating suffering to their victims. These effects will often stay with the victim throughout their entire life.
8 Common Forms of Sexual Abuse
Sadly, there are many different acts of sexual abuse committed by people every day. Some common types are listed below:
- Child Molestation and Sexual Abuse
- Children should be protected by adults. While inconceivable to nearly all of us, disturbingly, there are grown-ups in society who sexually and violently prey on the most vulnerable of us.
- Sexual Harassment
- Harassment can be verbal, written, via the internet, or through other forms of communication.
- Rape and Attempted Rape
- Domestic Violence and Marital Rape
- If you are married, nonconsensual sex is still rape.
- Groping is far too common in society. Such behavior can cause significant anguish to victims and should not be taken lightly
- Date Rape
- While generally thought of as a crime that only happens on college campuses, date rape can be committed anywhere.
- Elder Sexual Abuse
- Unfortunately, those with access to vulnerable elderly adults sometimes prey upon them, even in a sexual manner.
How Can You Make A Sexual Abuser Pay For What They Have Done?
Far too often, cases of sexual abuse go unreported, leaving the abusers free to harm somebody else. While facing the realities of reporting such an attack can be daunting, scary, and downright difficult, assailants need to be held accountable whenever possible. Retaining a skilled and compassionate Newberry Sexual Abuse lawyer can help you navigate the frightening situation that has been thrust upon you. Along with supporting you through these difficult times, our attorneys will pursue compensation from your attacker for the following struggles:
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages and income
- Permanent or temporary physical disability
- Punitive damages, awarded to victims as a punishment of the perpetrator
- Medical bills, including those incurred for mental health services
Navigating the circumstances following a sexual attack can be intimidating, but having legal counsel by your side can make it a little bit easier. Furthermore, filing a lawsuit initiates a complex and sometimes drawn-out process, for which an attorney’s counsel and guidance will help. At Strom Law Firm, our Newberry Sexual Abuse Lawyers, we have experience guiding clients through a wide variety of complex legal situations, including sexual abuse and assault cases. Our attorneys are understanding, compassionate, and empathetic to your struggle, and we are ready to help you through your unfortunate situation.
Sexual Abuse Stats
- Sexual abuse victims come from every demographic, regardless of sex, age, race, or economic standing. Unfortunately, it is widely believed that the majority of sexual abuse cases are never reported, but it is commonly estimated that 8 percent to 20 percent of America’s population has been abused or molested, in some way, at some point in their lives.
- Around 70 percent of reported abuse cases involve children under 17 years of age.
Unfortunately, sexual predators use everyday activities as opportunities to commit sexual abuse and violence. The places and activities that are often targeted usually do not have a host to supervise the children. Far too often, sexually predatory behavior occurs in locations where we, as parents, believe our children are safe. Some more common places of attack include:
- After-school Programs
- Sports Teams
- Dance Classes
- Foster Homes and Children’s Homes
- Hospitals and Doctors’ Offices
- Care Facilities
If you or your loved one has been victimized by sexual abuse or sexual assault, the skilled and compassionate Newberry sexual assault lawyers at Strom Law Firm are here to help. We are experienced in representing victims of sexual abuse and other sex crimes, and we are available to help guide you through this difficult time. Our lawyers are ready to meet with you in person at your convenience. You can also contact us online or by phone at 803-252-4800 to schedule a time to talk with a member of our team.