South Carolina Car Accident Attorneys
What appears to be a minor car accident may lead to severe injuries and high repair costs. A collision can result in personal injury ranging from whiplash, strain to ligaments, tendons, and discs in the neck to more permanent injuries including paralysis, even death.
As a result, car accident cases are not simple. Many people, including attorneys, regard car accident cases as run-of-the-mill. That is rarely the case. The car wreck attorneys at Strom Law Firm, L.L.C., understand what it takes to protect the rights of victims injured in car accidents. Let us stand for you.
The events following an automobile accident can be overwhelming and stressful. It’s important to always remain calm to protect you, your passengers and car from further damage.
If there are injuries, call 911 immediately. If you’re able to, exchange information including driver’s license, registration, insurance information and phone numbers. Refrain from discussing the details of the accident and do not say anything at all that could be construed as admitting fault. Take pictures of the accident.
Causes of South Carolina Car Accidents
The Insurance Institute for Highway and Safety (NHTSA) stated that there were more than 824 fatal car accidents in South Carolina in 2014. Even with today’s greater emphasis on safety, car accidents continue to occur.The most common causes of auto accidents include:
- Speeding — The NHTSA reports that speed is one of the most common factors in traffic accidents. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), teen drivers are more likely to speed than adult drivers, and male teens are more likely to speed compared with their female counterparts.
- Distracted driving —According to the National Safety Council (NSC), 25% of all automobile crashes are related to cell phone use, whether by talking on the phone or texting.
- Drunk Driving —The NHTSA stated that alcohol was a factor in more than 40% of all automobile fatalities. Approximately 30 people die every day the United States from a drunk driving related accident.
- Automotive Defects — There are many accidents caused by automotive defects. In those situations, drivers can recover damages from the companies responsible for the car’s defective design or construction. Common defects include airbag, tire, and seatbelt defects.
Accident Injury Compensation
If you are injured in an accident, the at-fault driver will be responsible for your medical bills as well as any consequential damages, including lost wages. Depending upon the severity of your accident-related injuries, you may be entitled to an award of the costs for future medical care. While this may require the use of expert testimony, the Strom Law Firm, L.L.C. has the resources to fight for compensation for your claim.
When an accident results in the loss of a spouse, you may also be entitled to damages for loss of enjoyment of life. Most states allow additional recovery when an injury interferes with your ability to lead a normal life. Even with an elderly client, he/she might not be able to play with your grandchildren, to walk and exercise as he/she did prior to the accident, to communicate meaningfully with others, or to engage in pastimes previously enjoyed.
In the event that your spouse is affected, we may also file a claim for loss of consortium.
Compensable Mental Injuries can include:
- Fear of the consequences of an injury while awaiting help;
- Fear experienced when the injury occurred;
- Fear experienced after an injury concerning what happened;
- Anxiety concerning physical health and future well-being;
- Fear of the need for future surgery resulting from injury;
- Fear of increased vulnerability to future injury;
- Post-traumatic stress disorder.
Monetary damages for pain and suffering exist to compensate someone for injuries that are physical or emotional in nature. This is contrasted with out of pocket damages including lost wages and medical bills.
Punitive damages may be awarded in cases where it is shown that a person engaged in malicious or reckless conduct.
Talk to a Car Accident Lawyer Right Away
After your accident, an insurance adjuster assigned to your case will want to obtain a statement from you. Don’t let the insurance company try to settle your claim for less than it is worth. Insurance companies are focused on making money, not ensuring that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. Although the insurance adjuster may push you to settle your claim, you need to make sure that you are finished treating, and understand the full extent of, your injuries prior to even discussing settlement. You also need to know whether you will need future treatment or suffer from any future impairment before you even consider settlement.
Call For a Free Appointment Today
Our car accident lawyers are prepared to fight for compensation in the courtroom. We will defend your right to compensation for your past and future medical bills, lost wages and future earnings, your pain and suffering, and in the event of a fatal car accident, even wrongful death. Contact the South Carolina accident attorneys at the Strom Law Firm, L.L.C. today for a free consultation to discuss the facts of your case and how we can help.