Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers in Columbia, SC
Serious accidents can cause great stress, from finance concerns to emotional issues, these effects can seem as devastating as the accident itself. The Columbia Spinal Cord Injury Attorney’s at theStrom Law Firm is prepared to work with you and your family through the pain and stress of a personal injury. Obtaining compensation for permanent injury or death of a loved one as a result of somebody else’s carelessness can be difficult. Contact a skilled and experienced Columbia spinal cord injury attorney to protect your rights and obtain the compensation you deserve.
Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries
- Car accidents
- Boating accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Workplace accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Biking accidents
- Medical malpractice
Any damage to the spine is a serious medical concern. It is not wise to try to resolve these claims on your own, rather you should consult with an experienced spinal cord injury attorney. Preparing these claims for negotiation requires extensive medical documentation to show that the injury resulted from the event. These claims can take years to complete, but a qualified attorney can guide you through the process.
Compensation in Spinal Cord Injury Lawsuits
Insurance companies are in the practice of settling claims as soon as possible. They will look at past claims, statistics, and charts to determine how much compensation a claim is worth. An attorney, however, will look for the appropriate compensation by reviewing medical records and notes, lost income, and the ability to work, along with any other damages.
Lots of cases settle, but claims can be litigated if necessary, and Strom Law Firm’s Columbia Spinal Cord Injury Attorneys are ready to litigate. Plaintiffs often sue for the following damages:
- Medical costs
- Lost income
- Pain and suffering
- Punitive damages
Who Can Be Held Liable for Spinal Injury Cases?
You could be considered partially at fault for your injuries. This does not mean you should not seek justice or compensation for your injury. The Strom Law Firm will investigate the situation and talk to appropriate witnesses involved to determine liability. We will also look at how these parties could have prevented your injuries.
Common Spinal Cord Injuries
There are two general classifications of spinal cord injuries:
Complete spinal cord injuries include permanent damage to the affected area of the spinal cord. Conditions in which all the sensory and motor functions are lost, your injury would be considered complete.
Incomplete spinal cord injuries encompass partial damage to the affected area of the spinal cord. An injury considered incomplete would mean there is limited motor and sensory function.
The most common types of spinal cord injuries include:
- Tetraplegia: Arms, hands, trunk, legs, and pelvic organis are all affected. This is commonly known as quadriplegia and is paralysis in all limbs.
- Paraplegia: Paralysis affecting all or part of the trunk, legs, and pelvic organs. You may lose mobility or even lose all feeling in the lower part of your body.
- Triplegia: Loss of mobility and sensation in a single arm and both legs resulting as a result of an incomplete spinal cord injury.
Spinal Cord Injury Signs and Symptoms
You must seek immediate medical attention if you suffer any type of spinal cord injury. The risk could be long-term, severe problems and complications can arise if you have not obtained the necessary treatment. Spinal cord injuries often cause paralysis in varying degrees, but you should look out for a few signs and symptoms that can help you determine your need for medical attention. If it is remotely possible that you have an injury to your spinal cord due to an accident, you should look for the following:
- Loss of movement
- Loss or altered sensations (unable to feel heat, cold, and touch)
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Spasms or exaggerated reflexes
- Changes in sexual function, sensitivity, and fertility
- Pain or intense stinging sensation caused by nerve damage
- Difficulty breathing, coughing, or clearing secretions from the lungs
Other signs and symptoms may require emergency care:
- Extreme back pain or pressure in the neck, head, or back
- Weakness or paralysis in any part of the body
- Numbness, tingling, or loss of sensation in the hands, fingers, feet or toes
- Loss of bladder or bowel control
- Difficulty balancing and walking
- Impaired breathing after an accident
- An oddly positioned or twisted neck or back.
How Much Does It Cost To Hire A Columbia Spinal Cord Injury Attorney?
If you have been injured in an accident, seek legal help immediately. Our Columbia spinal injury attorneys offer free consultation on a contingency basis. This means that you will not pay anything up front; rather, we will only collect our fee from you in the event we secure a favorable settlement or judgment. Call the Strom Law Firm today at (803) 252-4800 to schedule your free consultation.
Here’s what Alma P. said about us on Google:
“Great law firm…awesome costumer service! Absolute pleasure to work with! I Would recommend this law firm to anyone.”
Rating: 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Check out all of our Google reviews!