Child Injury Attorneys in Columbia, SC
If another party’s negligence or intentional conduct caused your child harm, contact Strom Law Firm’s Columbia Child Injury Lawyers at 803-252-4800 to speak with us about your child’s rights and entitlement to compensation.
As parents and guardians, our first and most important job is to protect our children by keeping them safe and healthy. When your child needs somebody in their corner following an injury, as their parent, the responsibility falls on you to ensure somebody fights for their rights. You must ensure that your child receives the best care necessary and the compensation they deserve for their injuries.
Skilled and Compassionate Columbia Child Injury Lawyers
If your son or daughter suffers from a significant injury, you should consult a skilled and experienced lawyer to assist in seeking compensation on your child’s behalf. Our Columbia Child Injury Lawyers are experienced in all types of personal injury claims, including those involving injuries during birth or childhood.
We are ready and able to:
- Assist you in gaining an understanding of the compensation your family should pursue related to your child’s injuries. It is important to realize that the ramifications of an injury to your child are serious. Aside from your concern for your child’s well-being, your family will likely absorb significant financial consequences and additional damaging effects.
- Offering our advice in furtherance of preventing mistakes that will likely less your financial recovery. There are many ways to inadvertently lessen your compensation following an accident. You may accidentally admit fault to the accident or you may accept a quick settlement without considering all of the factors. Let us help you avoid these issues.
- Take as much of the stress and weight off of your shoulders as we can. While we are empathetic, we recognize that we cannot fully understand your pain and stress as a parent of an injured child. Much of the claim filing and litigation process can add even more stress, but we can handle that stress while you care for your child. Let us make life a little easier for your family and your injured child.
Different Types of Children Injuries
Children suffer injuries in different types of ways:
Injuries that a child suffers during birth can cause financial costs and a long road to recovery for your son or daughter. Some serious injuries can result in life-long consequences for your child, completely altering the future. If a doctor fails to follow a reasonable standard of care, medical providers and their facilities may be held liable for any resulting injuries.
Children are helpless with no control of whether they are involved in a car accident. When one occurs, those who are at fault should compensate your child for any resulting injury.
Although not able to drive, children are still at risk of suffering a significant injury in car accidents, including:
- Broken and fractured bones
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Burns or glass-related injury
- Amputation and Lacerations
- Spine Injury (SCI)
Products Liability Accidents
One of a parent’s worst fears is supplying his or her child with a toy or other product that eventually harms their child. Unfortunately, toys and other products intended for children harm those very same children every day. Some toys are choking hazards, some cause chemical reactions, and others just plain catch fire. Other toys although seemingly working as they are supposed to, may tighten around a child’s neck or wrist and cut off circulation.
Companies that put harmful toys and other children’s products into the stream of commerce should pay for any injuries resulting from their carelessness.
State Fair and Amusement Park Injuries
The State Fair is in town, and your kid is uncontrollably happy to be able to ride the new roller coaster. Joy can turn to chaos, fear, and pain in a matter of seconds when the ride does not work as intended. Your child could suffer cuts, bruises, fractures, even brain injury or death from a failed harness or neglected maintenance of a ride.
School Bus Injuries
Across America, buses provide more than 10 billion rides to students every year. You as a parent expect that those bus rides will end with your child safely at school or home. What you never imagine is that a bus ride could end with your child in the hospital. Bus accidents can be caused by a variety of reasons, including maintenance, bus driver error, or an error by other drivers on the road.
When your child presents with the symptoms of a serious illness or injury, you rely on doctors to help diagnose that injury and provide appropriate treatment for your child. When doctors fail in that duty, you have grounds for a medical malpractice claim on behalf of your child.
This may include:
- Misdiagnosis your child’s condition.
- Improper treatment of your child.
- Surgical or procedural errors.
Daycare Accidents and Playground Injuries
Sending your child to daycare should never cause concern for a parent. However, far too often, daycare’s fail the children for whom they are supposed to be caring. Sometimes daycares completely neglect your child, sometimes they inadvertently fail to give your child her medication, and sometimes they feed them food to which they are allergic. Playground injuries also cause for worry, if proper supervision is not being practiced.
If your child is bitten or attacked by a dog, whether a neighbor, a passerby or a park visitor, the owner of that dog should pay for any resulting injuries. An owner of a dog is strictly liable for any injuries caused by their dog if that dog was not provoked. First things first, if your child is bitten by a dog, immediately get that dog’s vaccination records. Rabies is a very serious illness that can result in death. Secondly, get any information on the owner, including name, phone number, and address. This information will be important if you need to file a lawsuit in the future.
Compensation After a Child Injury
A child injury claim will never erase the pain and suffering caused to both you and your child, but it can help lessen the burden on you and your family. Compensation for such an injury will depend on the severity of the injury and insurance policy coverage among other factors. If filing a claim for a child’s injury, you may expect to pursue compensation for the following:
Medical expenses. These include the initial emergency room visit, any follow-up appointments, physical therapy, any necessary medical devices, any medically necessary modifications to your home, and any other costs for medically necessary equipment or visits.
We will also fight for compensation for the following:
- Your child’s pain and suffering.
- Any detrimental impact on the child’s future possibilities.
- Any loss in your income as a parent that results from your child’s accident and the care they need thereafter.
Your Columbia Child Injury Lawyers
If your child has suffered an injury in Columbia, its surrounding areas, or across the state of South Carolina, contact our Columbia Child Injury Lawyers today. Visit us at our office, contact us online, or give us a call at 803-252-4800 to schedule a free, confidential, no-obligation consultation with someone in our office.