Finding the Right SC Motorcycle Injury Attorney
If you have been involved in a motorcycle accident, you may be eligible to receive compensation for your losses. It’s important that you retain competent, experienced representation as soon as possible after your accident. The motorcycle accident attorneys at Strom Law Firm, LLC know exactly the steps to take and the methods that can secure critical evidence in support of your claims. Call for a free consultation to discuss the facts of your motorcycle accident claim today.
You may be entitled to the repayment of damages to cover your losses as a result of your injury accident. Such compensation may include:
- Medical bills: This includes the bills you accrue to diagnose and treat your injuries as well as the costs incurred for physical therapy and other continuing treatments.
- Lost wages: Some accidents keep you out of work for weeks or even months, some accidents may prevent you from ever returning to work. The damages you receive may cover the cost of current and future lost wages.
- Pain and suffering: In addition to lost wages and bills, you may be entitled to compensation for the emotional damages and damages to your quality of life.
If your loved one was lost in a motorcycle wreck, our attorneys can help with your wrongful death claim to help you obtain compensation for your expenses resulting from your loss.
What to Do Immediately Following a Motorcycle Accident
- If you are still at the scene of the accident and have not done so already, call 911.
- If you or anyone else is injured, seek medical attention.
- If your injuries require you to see a doctor, be sure to follow your doctor’s advice and treatment plan.
- Take notes and pictures of all of the important details of the scene.
- Secure the names of every other driver involved in the accident as well as any witnesses.
- Do not volunteer any information regarding who is at fault. Do not say that you are sorry or make any similar statement.
Investigating the Scene of a Motorcycle Crash
After an accident, it’s extremely important to move quickly to ensure that important evidence is preserved. Oftentimes the accident report fails to correspond with the true events and conditions that led to the wreck. If you are a victim of a motorcycle accident in South Carolina, securing legal representation as early as possible will help to protect your rights. Our motorcycle wreck lawyers will use resources beyond an accident report to demonstrate what really caused a collision, secure critical evidence, and fight for fair compensation for an injured victim.
If retained early enough, the Strom Law Firm, LLC will carefully analyze all aspects of the sequence of events, road conditions, and mechanical factors that led to the collision. The results of this investigation can be critical to determining if a negligent driver is to blame for the collision. Depending upon the accident location, we may be able to obtain video surveillance evidence as well.
Investigating the scene can help substantiate what actually occurred and ultimately help ensure that a victim of a motorcycle accident receives proper compensation.
Our Motorcycle Accident Law Firm Offers Assistance to Injured Motorcycle Victims
Navigating through a motorcycle accident claim can be extremely confusing. It often involves complex legal procedures. It is important to have an attorney who will stand up for your rights and protect your legal interests.
In our initial free consultation, we will meet and review the FR-10 (the form given to you by the officer at the scene), obtain additional information regarding what occurred, and learn more about the injuries which you sustained, as well as your anticipated treatment.
Immediately after being retained, we will send a letter of representation to the insurance adjuster assigned to defend the case and begin organizing critical documents so that we may put together a demand in your case.
We will also obtain your permission to order all relevant medical records and bills. These records will help substantiate the injuries you have received. If you are undergoing medical treatment, we recommend that you follow your doctor’s suggested treatment plan to maximize the amount of compensation that you will receive.
If you have suffered lost wages, we will contact your employer to obtain verification of the compensation to which you are entitled. These calculations will be included in your damages.
Depending upon how quickly we are retained after the accident, the Strom Law Firm will also appear with you in traffic court if the at-fault driver chooses to contest the ticket.
Securing Compensation For Your Motorcycle Accident Claim
Our clients often ask how long they should expect their motorcycle accident claim to take. The answer depends on a number of factors including the amount of medical treatment needed to return the client back to normal. Forgoing necessary medical treatment for a quick recovery can leave you personally responsible for medical bills and undervalue your claim.
When you have reached maximum medical improvement and/or finished treating, our lawyers will file a demand with the insurance company seeking compensation on your behalf. Depending upon the facts of your case, we may be able to resolve your motorcycle accident claim without filing a formal lawsuit. However, if we are unable to resolve your claim, we will file a lawsuit, and if necessary, pursue your case through a jury trial.
If you have been the victim of a motorcycle accident through no fault of your own and think you may be entitled to receive compensation for the injuries which you sustained, give us a call today. We offer free consultations at our Columbia, SC office to discuss the facts of your case and the best way to proceed. Call us at 803-252-4800 for your free, no-obligation consultation. We’re here to help.
What Types of Motorcycle Injuries Does Strom Law Firm, LLC Handle?
According to the South Carolina Department of Public Safety (SCDPS), a motorcyclist is killed every three days in South Carolina. Motorcycles lack the protection of an enclosed vehicle and offer little protection to a rider in the event of an accident. The sheer size and weight disparity between car, truck, or SUV and a motorcycle increase the likelihood of serious injury, or even death, to a rider injured in a motorcycle accident.
Common injuries sustained in motorcycle accidents include:
- Head trauma
- Spinal cord injuries
- Road rash
- Broken bones
- Internal bleeding
- Severe burns
In addition to the pain and suffering of dealing with your injuries, the medical bills required to treat your injuries and the wages you lose when you are away from work only compound your suffering. In order to return your life to the way it was — or as close to the way it was as possible— our team of experienced motorcycle accident injury attorneys will fight to get you the compensation you deserve. Your damages may cover your bills, lost wages, and the pain and suffering you endure as a result of your accident.
Major Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in South Carolina
Most serious accidents are caused by the error of one or more drivers. While each accident is different, there are common causes that lead to motorcycle injuries and fatalities, such as:
- Distracted driving: Due to their smaller size, a motorcycle is more difficult to see than a car, truck, or SUV. If a driver is not paying attention, either due to texting, situations inside the car, or other distractions, they can cause a collision with a motorcyclist.
- Drunk driving: Alcohol and drugs are responsible for a large portion of traffic accidents, and this includes collisions with motorcyclists.
- Blind spots: Most motorcycle riders know to be aware of blind spots — the areas surrounding a car or truck that make it difficult for a driver to spot a bike. Yet despite these precautions, another driver may still carelessly move into a blind spot and cause an accident.
- Speeding: Excessive speed on the part of the other driver can cause accidents. Driving over the speed limit may not give the other driver enough time to react to the presence of another vehicle, leading to accidents.
- Door accidents: Occasionally a driver within a parked car will open their door into the roadway, causing a collision. If the other vehicle is a motorcycle, the consequences can be severe.
- Left-hand turns: A high percentage of motorcycle accidents involve a driver making a left hand turn, either turning left in front of an oncoming motorcycle or turning left when a motorcycle was trying to pass.
- Weather and road conditions: While only a small amount of motorcycle accidents happen in the rain, likely due to the tendency of a rider to avoid adverse weather, improperly maintained highways and street surfaces can contribute to an accident.
If you were injured in a motorcycle accident as a result of any of these situations, or any other cause, be sure you have an experienced lawyer on your side — one who understands the law and who will aggressively work to get you the recovery for damages that you deserve. Contact us today for a free consultation so we can begin building your case.
What Makes a Motorcycle Accident Case Different Than Other Accident Claims?
Motorcycle riders know the freedom and pleasure of riding a bike. While most riders are conscientious on the road and alert to remain safe, the fact is many people — including at-fault drivers and insurance adjusters — may want to paint motorcyclists as reckless and thrill-seeking. Whether this is due to cultural stereotypes or simply because they wish to avoid culpability is hard to determine.
Motorcyclists are more likely to be injured in an accident than the occupants of a passenger car as they lack the protective outer frame of a vehicle. There is little protection offered by the bike itself, and due to the massive weight of cars, trucks, and SUVs, the injuries can be severe. In fact, motorcycles account for 14% of accident fatalities, but they only make up 3% of the number of registered vehicles.
How to Protect Yourself from a Motorcycle Accident
While we are here to help you recover damages in the event of a motorcycle accident, we can’t turn back the clock. These are steps riders can take to help avoid the pain and suffering caused by an injury accident.
- Wear a helmet and appropriate safety gear. Helmets are 37% effective in preventing a motorcycle death and 67% effective in preventing a brain injury.
- Participate in a South Carolina Motorcycle Rider Training Class.
- Ride defensively and look for signs that another driver may turn in front of you.
- Avoid blind spots of other drivers. Many times the at-fault driver does not see the motorcycle until it is too late.
- Keep your motorcycle in good repair.
- Wear reflective gear and bright colors to make yourself more visible.
Free Motorcycle Accident Claim Consultations
Recovery after a motorcycle accident can be difficult. You may be out of work, suffering lost wages, and facing costly medical bills. We are here to help. While we cannot change what happened, our motorcycle accident attorneys will move quickly to make sure that your rights are protected so that you can focus on your recovery. Call us at 803-252-4800 to schedule your free, no-obligation consultation today.