Burn Injury Attorneys in St. Matthews, SC
Types of St. Matthews Burn injuries
The clients that St. Matthew burn injury lawyers represent suffered their injuries from many different accidents and incidents and are often also considered to be catastrophic injuries. Steam, matches, boiling water, electrical appliances, and chemicals are all examples of the more likely things to cause a burn injury. However, the causes of burn injuries are not just limited to those few things. Victims may also suffer injuries caused by:
- Steam and hot liquid
- Electrical burns, from outlets or lightning strike
- Grabbing heated objects, such as hair straighteners or griddles
- Playing with matches
- Truck Accident
- Bus Accident
- Construction Accident
- Kitchen incidents
- Chemical burns, often from cleaning products
- Car Accident
The severity of St. Matthews Burn Injuries
There are four primary degrees that burn injuries can be categorized in to:
- First-degree burn: Affecting the outer layer of skin, known as the epidermis. A first-degree burn is often red in color and moist. A first-degree burn is generally better within about a week or so.
- Superficial second-degree burns: breaches the epidermal layer of skin and reaches to the next layer, called the dermis. A second-degree burn may appear pink in color. A “superficial second-degree burn” generally heals on its own, usually within two weeks.
- Second-degree burns: These are different from the above-described burns. The tissue damage goes deeper into the layer of skin known as the dermis. Second-degree burns like this will be of white color and dry. These can take three or four weeks to get better.
- Third-degree burns: Everyone has heard of a third-degree burn. These are the highest severity of classification for a burn. A third-degree burn happens when the epidermal (outermost layer) and the dermal layers of skin are both destroyed by the burn and the damage extends subcutaneously. Third-degree burns will have significant texture to them, will be charred, and many times have a leather-ish appearance. Third-degree burns are incredibly serious and many times will result in skin grafting or additional reconstructive techniques.
St. Matthews Burn Injury Lawyers
A lawsuit may be needed to recover compensation for a victim’s damages if they suffer a burn injury caused by defective equipment, unsafe work conditions, or a child being left unsupervised with a dangerous product. Burns of any severity should be taken seriously even if they do not seem as serious as others. Even the smallest scar from a burn can last a lifetime and affect the victim indefinitely. These effects can include perpetual sensations of intense pain. Burn damage can also cause a victim to suffer from injuries that are not visible by them or others. This includes, but is not limited to, things like mental anguish and distress. The law exists to make burn victims and other victims as close as possible to being whole again.
If you suffered burns in an accident or in any other way in St. Matthews, Calhoun County, or anywhere else in South Carolina. We offer free case evaluations and we do not collect a fee unless we recover for you. Contact the experienced legal team at Strom Law Firm’s office at 803-252-4800 or visit our webpage. Our St. Matthews burn injury lawyers look forward to hearing how they and our other legal professionals may be able to assist you in getting the help you deserve.