Slip and Fall Lawyers Newberry SC
It is crucial to speak with an attorney following a slip and fall, because, at the time of the accident, you may not realize the fall was the fault of somebody else. We can investigate the matter further to determine the facts. Whether you’ve slipped on a wet floor at a grocery store, tripped over a raised sidewalk, or suffered from a slip and fall in any number of other ways, contact the Newberry Slip And Fall Lawyer s at Strom Law Firm immediately.
Businesses and homeowners have certain duties to keep their property safe for visitors, and when they fail to live up to that duty, accidents happen. A slip and fall often result in a violent collision between your body and the ground, which can lead to serious injury for the healthiest among us.
Typical Causes of Newberry Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents occur due to a variety of factors. Some of these factors may suggest negligence of another. Some of the more typical slip and fall accidents result from:
- Debris on the ground
- Failure to properly light a space
- Hidden or poorly marked steps
- Uncovered wiring
- Faulty stairs
- Broken or raised pavement
- Absence of handrails
- Uneven or wet floors
- Worn down and torn carpet
Is my injury serious enough for a slip and fall case?
Seeking compensation for any injury, whether through an insurance claim or a lawsuit, can be difficult. Slip, and falls can be even more difficult than most claims. If you suffered a significant injury to your head or any other part of your body, it is worth doing whatever you can to recover compensation for your expenses and troubles.
Negligent property owners should not get away with failing to maintain their property or to properly warn against danger simply because a lawsuit may be difficult. At Strom Law Firm, our Newberry Slip And Fall Lawyers always offer a free initial consultation where we can discuss the specific facts of your case and decide on the best path forward.
Premises Liability Analysis In Slip and Fall Cases
Under South Carolina law, the extent of a duty owed by an owner is usually governed by the status of a third party on their property:
- Licensees: Licensees are allowed entry to a property by the consent of an owner or occupant. The duty of care owed to a licensee is not as high as that owed to an invitee.
- Invitees: Invitees enter the land of another individual at the express or implied invitation of the occupant of the land, and for the benefit of the occupant or owner. An occupant or land-owner owes a duty of reasonable care to an invitee, which carries the duty to warn of any “latent” or hidden defects or dangers. The owner must have actual or constructive notice of the defect to give rise to this duty. Constructive notice means that the occupant or owner has reason to believe that the condition exists, and the condition would be discovered with reasonable inspection.
- Trespassers: Trespassers enter land belonging to another without any invitation, right, or lawful authority. They enter exclusively for their own purposes. Trespassers are merely owed by the owner or occupant a duty not to be harmed by willful or wanton conduct or conditions.
What someone is considered while on a property is largely dependent upon the specific facts of your case.
Injuries Often Suffered in Slip and Fall Accidents
Back Injuries and Spinal Cord Damage
– Slip and fall accidents can sometimes result in herniated discs, broken backs, and spinal cord damage. Anybody who has suffered a back injury knows that it can affect every aspect of your life. The back and spine are central to the entire body, and an injury to them renders many activities impossible for an injured party. Aside from the effect, a back injury has on your ability to perform certain actions, and back injuries are incredibly painful and sometimes permanent. If your injury requires back surgery, you will have a long and expensive road to recovery.
Broken Hips and Dislocations
– Broken hips and hip dislocations are other common injuries resulting from slip and falls. Hip injuries can be completely debilitating for those suffering from one. The CDC estimates that ~95% of hip injuries are caused by falls.
– Shoulder damage is a common result of a slip and fall, given the way people naturally try to land on their side in a fall. Anybody that has suffered a shoulder injury knows that they can be painful, debilitating, and downright inconvenient—many of those who suffer shoulder injuries never fully heal, resulting in chronic pain and disability. For significant shoulder injuries, surgery followed by a long course of physical therapy may be required. These procedures and follow-ups are time-consuming and expensive.
– Often, during a slip and fall, a victim’s head will strike the floor with the full momentum of the fall. Traumatic brain injury is yet another injury from a slip and fall that can alter a person’s life forever. When somebody falls backward, their momentum often causes their heels to swing over their head, leading to their head hitting the ground hard, with the full force of gravity.
Fractures, Sprains, and Strains
– While fractures and sprains are not thought of as the most severe injuries, they can be painful and lead to short-term and long-term complications. Often, fractures or sprains can result in chronic pain, infection, and other issues in a slip and victim.
If you have had to pay the physical and financial costs of any of the above injuries or other slip and fall injuries, a Newberry Slip And Fall Lawyer at the StromLaw Firm can help you seek the compensation you are owed.
Contact a Newberry Slip And Fall Lawyer Today
If you have suffered a slip and fall injury, it is important to be compensated by the responsible party. Injuries from slip and falls should be taken seriously, and those that cause them should meet their obligations to keep their property safe. Strom Law Firm is experienced in representing victims of Newberry slip and falls and other accidents. A Newberry slip and fall lawyer is ready to meet with you in person at your convenience. You can also contact us online or by phone at 803-252-4800 to schedule a time to talk with a member of our team. We are located in Barrister Hall 6923 N. Trenholm Rd, Columbia SC 29206-1707